Sunday, August 29, 2010

The times, they are a changin' (I have heard that song, I'm no Ron Burgundy. Milk is ALWAYS a bad choice).

The ball got rolling.
I got a job.
And it's really a story. I hate drama, in general, but this is a whole story. I was offered a job from the one place where the interview made me feel nauseous, like I wanted to jump out of the window, and where I never wanted to return. The people were lovely. But everything went wrong, and out of desperation, I verbally accepted it. The next day, my practicum site called and offered me a job. I was calling professors, my dad, pacing. After many shaky voiced and adrenaline fueled phone calls, I took the ideal, close to where I live, well paying, *goal* job. I then lay in child's pose on the floor for ten minutes (not an exaggeration). Then sushi and saki was had at Musashino, the absolute best sushi joint in Austin.
And I'm working that job. It is hugely scary. My heart beats so fast sometimes it makes me cough. Everyone is so nice, but I dream that I'm at an ARD and my report isn't done. Or that someone questions my lack of licensure. This is the deal.
Not that this is actually secondary, but I'm also engaged to be married. This was a slow process. There was asking, and then slowly, telling people. Not surprisingly, I feel almost embarrassed with this news. I'm so excited, but Murat and I are so private and have our own little world that silly traditions like "congratulations" and wedding planning seem silly. It's like we have to join the rest of the crazy world and get a ring and a date and we are bewildered. I'm excited, yes.
I have to choose bridesmaids.
Having been a bridesmaid, I have always had a good time. It's an honor and it really makes you feel a part of the wedding. I have also counted the number of girls I should have and it's like 10. I need to whiddle it down big time, considering we want to keep this wedding small (being the attention whores everyone knows we are). My plan is to have bridesmaids. I considered not having them, so as not to deal with the veritable ranking of my friends and family (nightmare) but I'm probably going to regret that. Murat was freaked out when I declared that they would not wear "uniforms." He demanded that matching females attend us at our nuptials. Alarmed, I made him a gin and tonic and assured him that we would find a way. My compromise is to do bridesmaid "fun packs" (free shit, pedicures, etc) to all the special ladies, but only require approved dress of like 6 of them. I mean, hell.
So here we are. I have a terrifying new job and a terrifying new wedding to plan. I use the word "terrifying" to encompass exciting, ego-boosting and endorphine- inducing. As well as straight scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment